Do you find your air purifier has a bad odor? This is not uncommon. There are many reasons why does my air purifier smell bad, and it’s important to know why so that you can prevent it from happening again.
In the first section, we will discuss some of the most common reasons why your air purifier smells bad or has an unpleasant odor. In the second section, I’ll give you my best tips for preventing these odors in the future.
When Did Your Air Purifier Start to Smell?
When you have your air purifier running, sometimes an unpleasant smell will come out. If this happens and the smell is there all the time or just when it runs for a long time without cleaning out dust, that means there are two possible causes:
- The purifier simply needs to be cleaned. Check your owner’s manual for instructions on how to do this. It usually involves just a quick vacuum of dust from inside and emptying out any collected water or debris.
- You may have an unpleasant odor in your room before turning on the air purifier because there was something vaguely unpleasant in the room beforehand.
In order to prevent your device from smelling, it’s important that you maintain a regular schedule of dust collecting and vacuuming inside as well as cleaning any collected water or debris out on a monthly basis. Leaving this type of task undone will lead to an odor problem with time, so make sure you do this regularly.
Why Does My Air Purifier Smell Bad?
There are many reasons why your air purifier might smell.
- Your filter needs to be changed and replaced. Filters need to be changed every few months depending on usage or how often you have been using the air purifier for a while now.
- The fan motor is dirty, causing an odor buildup inside of the machine.
- The fan blade is dirty or broken, which can cause an unpleasant odor to come from your air purifier.
- You have pets and you don’t change your filter enough to accommodate for pet hair, dander, etc.
- You are running a humidifier in conjunction with your air purifier without realizing that this can cause a buildup of mold or mildew inside the machine.
- You have a bad filter that clogs up quickly and needs replacement more often than other filters on the market. There are many different types of filters out there for you to choose from, so make sure you find one that will work best for your lifestyle.
- Your machine is too dirty and the dirt buildup has turned into mold or mildew on some parts of the inside.
- The impeller fan in your air purifier needs to be replaced because it is broken and can’t circulate enough air throughout the room.
- Your air purifier is old and needs to be replaced with something more efficient.
- You are using the wrong type of filter for your machine, which can cause a bad odor as well.
- There is a bad smell coming from the air purifier because there is no filter.
- You have an airflow problem with your machine and need to check that out as well.
The first thing you should do is check for any of these problems listed above, which will help eliminate or reduce the smell in your home. If you are still experiencing problems after you have fixed these, then it is time to buy a new machine.
How to Prevent Air Purifier Smell
You can prevent the bad smell on your air purifier by following these steps:
- Clean it after every use, and if you can’t do this yourself, have a professional take care of it for you.
- Keep up with filter changes so that there’s no dust left inside the machine.
- Don’t put wet or dirty items in your machine.
- Clean the outside of your air purifier regularly with a damp cloth so that any dirt will come off easily and won’t be stuck to the surface.
- Use an odor remover if you’ve got one on hand! If not, just use bleach water (one tablespoon) diluted in a cup of water and spray it on the outside.
- Don’t put anything inside your machine that you wouldn’t want to get wet or dirty.
If you’re still having problems with a bad smell coming from your air purifier, please contact our customer service team for more information about returning defective merchandise or providing troubleshooting advice.
This article is about why your air purifier might be smelling bad. Causes include dust left inside the machine and wet or dirty items placed inside it. I recommend using an odor remover if you have one, as well as cleaning the outside of your device regularly so that dirt won’t stick to its surface.
You can contact customer service for more information about fixing a defective air purifier or providing troubleshooting advice.