Do you know that VOCs are the most dangerous gases for human health? VOCs also known as Volatile Organic Compounds, can cause multiple chemical sensitivity and long-term health hazards to the human body. VOCs are everywhere. VOCs /formaldehyde can come from many components and chemicals like paint, furniture, and many other products.
VOCs/formaldehyde are the most dangerous elements in our home. Formaldehyde benzene can be a reason of multiple chemical sensitivity and some harmful diseases like cancer and ulcer in the human body.
We have to remove these gases from our homes. Most air purification devices are used to clean air, and remove pollutants and airborne particles. But some best air purifier for VOC removal can easily remove this invisible danger from your home.
However, the air purifier with granular activated carbon and HEPA filter is the best solution to effectively remove VOC and formaldehyde removal. From my own experience, I will review some best air purifiers for VOC and formaldehyde. Also here is a buyer’s guide and some frequently asked questions for air purifiers. This will be the most interesting article, read this till the end.
- Airpura VOCs and Formaldehyde Removal Air Purifiers
- NuWave OxyPure Smart Air Purifier for Formaldehyde and VOCs
- Dyson Pure Cool Air Purifier for VOCs Removal
- Okaysou Smart Air Purifiers Air Purifier for VOCs
- Bissell Smart Purifier With HEPA and Carbon Filter
- Mi Air Purifier 3H Formaldehyde and VOCs Removal
- Rowenta Air Purifier for Formaldehyde and VOC
Which Features Should I Consider When Buying an Air Purifier for VOCs and Formaldehyde
Most air purifiers are specially used for removing dust, cleaning air, removing chemicals, pollen, pollutant, bacteria and viruses. But many people are choosing the wrong air purifier for VOC removal. You cannot choose viruses-killing air purifiers for VOCs.
Air purifiers can kill viruses and remove chemicals, it is not necessary that they help in removing VOCs also. You have to choose the best air purifier for formaldehyde that is specially made for them. I mean which technology and filters can remove them and which can not. This buyer’s guide will give you how to choose the best air purifier for VOCs.
Activated Carbon Filters
Activated carbon filters may remove VOCs. Because they are specially designed to remove these types of elements. But with a carbon filter, VOCs can release back into the air.
Sometimes carbon filters filed up and become saturated. They cannot reduce VOCs for a long time. In this situation, carbon filters can release back VOCs into the air. So you have to change the carbon filter from time to time. Otherwise, it can release back VOCs into the air.
Photochemical oxidation means PCO can remove some toxic VOCs. But it used UV-C light to remove air pollution. And ultraviolet produces certain gas which is harmful to our health as we discuss. That is why photochemical oxidation (PCO) is not an effective choice for VOCs and formaldehyde.
With PECO technology there is no chance that VOCs release back into the air. PECO technology means Photo Electrochemical Oxidation. Photoelectrochemical oxidation is developed by Dr. Yogi Goswami. PECO technology breaks VOCs when they are passing through the filter. It does not collect them like carbon filters.
There is no chance of VOCs being released back into the air for any reason. PECO technology is verified by the University of Minnesota. They proved that it can effectively reduce VOCs from the air and improve air quality. Also, photoelectrochemical oxidation does not produce ozone during the process.
Ozone and Electrostatic Technology
Ozone generators can effectively change molecules like smoke into different ones. Ozone is composed of three oxygen atoms. It will interact with smoke and convert it into some different chemical. When it is mixed with chemicals from any product, it can remove many kinds of chemicals. But it can release some dangerous chemicals in the air from any object.
There are many other side effects of ozone generators. It is harmful to your health because of these side effects. We cannot afford this solution for VOCs. It is dangerous for our health.
Electrostatic technology uses an electrically charged panel to capture particles and liquate droplets. But this technology cannot remove chemicals, dust, pollen, large particles and gases like VOCs.
6 Best Air Purifiers for VOCs and Formaldehyde
1. Airpura VOCs and Formaldehyde Removal Air Purifiers
- Capable to cover up to 2000 sq. ft area/room size.
- Three filters the true HEPA filter, Pre-filter, and activated carbon filter.
- It has 18 lbs of activated carbon filters that absorb airborne chemicals and gases.
- Features like speed option, unimpeded airflow, and four casters.
Airpura F600DLX Formaldehyde and VOCs air purifier is a Canadian industry. It makes specialized air purifiers for formaldehyde. Airpura has made many models for VOCs and formaldehyde. The F600DLX has 28 lbs of formaldehyde filtration media. It comes with three filters. The true HEPA filter, Pre-filter, and activated carbon filter.
The true HEPA media filter can run for at least 5 years in normal uses. It removes 99.97% of large particles of 0.3 microns. The activated carbon filter with 18 lbs can absorb gases, odors and airborne chemicals. It can last for 2 years, depending on your use. The true HEPA filter and Pre-filter should be changed every 12 months.
The airport F600DLX can efficiently cover a large area of up to 2000 sq. ft.(square feet) of your home. This is a highlighting feature of this air purifier for VOC. It has a variable speed option and unimpeded airflow. The airport is certified by the environmental technology laboratory. It has four casters that make this a movable air purifier.
This is a perfect choice for large rooms and apartments making it one of the best air purifier for formaldehyde. Some users complain that the air purifier is slower than 560 cm. This is an expensive option but good for formaldehyde removal.
What I Like
- Cover up to 2000 sq. ft. area of your home
- Contain 28 lbs. formaldehyde filtration media a unique air filtration system
- Easy to move
- Carbon filtration
- Pre-filter and HEPA air filters
What I Don’t Like
- Very expensive
- Complaints of the air purifier that this is slower than 560 cm.
2. NuWave OxyPure Smart Air Purifier for Formaldehyde and VOCs
- The combo carbon HEPA filter.
- Washable bio-guard and stainless steel filter.
- Features like 6 fan speed options, 360° air intake, sleep mode, and ultimate clean mode.
- I can clean pollutants in just 30 sec.
NuWave OxyPure is our second choice because this is the most advanced air purifier on the market. It allows you to control indoor air quality to breathe easier and live a healthy life. It protects you and your family from germs, bacteria, viruses, mold, and gases. Also, this is the best air purifier for chemical sensitivity.
The NuWave has added four filters to this air purifier. The stainless steel filter, bio-guard filter, ozone filter, and combo carbon HEPA filter. It can effectively clean up to 1200 sq. ft.(square feet) room size. The bio-guard filters kill germs, bacteria, viruses, and other microorganisms. The stainless steel removes pet dander, pollen, mold spores and mildew.
And the HEPA carbon filter removes 99.97% of odors, smoke, and dangerous formaldehyde. Bio-guard and stainless steel filters are washable filters. It will last for 20 years, no need to replace it every year. It features six fan speed options, 360° air intake, sleep mode, ultimate clean mode, and turbo mode and it also covers up to 1200 sq. ft. of your home.
You can control indoor air quality with this air purifier from anywhere with the NuWave app. This is a quiet and fast-working purifier. In a test, it cleans all pollutants in just 30 sec. This is a little expensive but its features are amazing, undoubtedly one of the best air purifiers for formaldehyde.
I think this is an all-in-one air purifier for home. It can remove pollen, dust, molds, germs, bacteria, viruses, VOCs and formaldehyde.
What I Like
- Covers up to 1200 sq. ft. area of your home
- A carbon filter with three replacement filters and long-lasting filter life
- Fast working and one of the best air purifiers for VOCs
- 360° air intake
- Carbon filtration
- Pre-filter and HEPA filters
What I Don’t Like
- Little expensive and heavier
- The app is not available for all
3. Dyson Pure Cool Air Purifier for VOCs Removal
- You can control it with a magnetic remote.
- LED display system
- It can rotate 350° to reach everywhere.
- It has a 10-speed option, auto mode, and night mode.
- Dyson’s app allows you to set a timer and also to analyze filter uses.
- Air multiple technologies project 77 gallons of cleaner air per second
- The sealed HEPA carbon filter.
The new Dyson TP04 is a unique design air purifier also known as an air-purifying fan. The Dyson TP04 comes with a magnetic remote. You can control the air purifier with a remote. This is a digital and unique design air purifier.
It has three sensors to detect pollution. This advanced purifier even removes Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) from the air using Dyson’s award-winning carbon filters. Dyson’s unique Air Multiplier technology creates smooth, uninterrupted airflow, which creates a lighter cooling effect.
It has 10 fan speed options that give you superior control over the air quality and air changes. It also comes with auto mode and night mode. With remote, you can also change the airflow direction. With Dyson’s app, you can set a timer to turn on and turn off the air purifier.
It has an air multiplier technology that projects 77 gallons of cleaner air per second. It can also connect to Alexa for voice control. The sealed HEPA carbon filter can capture allergens, pollution and 99.97% of large particles up to 0.3 microns. You have to change the filters once a year for normal use.
You can use Dyson’s app to see filter uses. The price of this air purifier is nearby NuWave OxyPure air purifiers. The TP04 purifies your all room and provides cool air in summer.
What I Like
- Covers up to 800 sq. ft. of your home
- Cool design
- Dyson’s app is working perfectly
- Easy to assemble and source control
- Activated carbon pre-filter
What I Don’t Like
- Fan is loud
- Cannot clean kitchen odors
4. Okaysou Smart Air Purifiers Air Purifier for VOCs
- Covers a room size up to 1,000 sq.ft. in one hour
- 5-Stage Filtration System captures 99.97% of air pollutants
- Child Lock mode protects your kids from error operation
- Eco mode will stop working automatically when no pollution is detected
- Turbo mode brings the fastest purification
- Advanced turbine motor provides you whisper-quiet operation
- 100% ozone free
5. Bissell Smart Purifier With HEPA and Carbon Filter
- Can support homeless pets
- It contains 3 stage filters and fabric per-filter
- Honeycomb-Structured Filter
- Automated CirQulate System
- Peaceful Sleeping Environment
- Integrated and Functional Design
- Accommodating Size
- Power Source Type
The Bissell air220 Air Purifier is a machine that has strong indoor air purifying power that is designed with simplicity and elegance. Its design is very unique way of the air220’s clean lines and smooth finishing. Elegantly designed underneath with 3 layer filters, activated carbon, HEPA and pre-filter as well.
The Bissell air220 air purifier has very soft dial setting to control both fan speed and power. This air purifier allows better control over the air quality and air changes. It is also able to cover 800 sq. ft. of your home.
It also helps to save pets. A percentage of every purchase goes to Bissel Pet Foundation. Bissell Pet Foundation helps support homeless pets.
What I Like
- Its supports Bissell pet foundation for homeless pets.
- Its design is elegant and simple way
- Have a soft dial setting to control fan speed and power.
- Can purify large rooms (800 sq. ft.) It contains 3 layers of the filter with super powerful
What I Don’t Like
- It makes fan noise in lower to higher speed
6. Mi Air Purifier 3H Formaldehyde and VOCs Removal
- HEPA Air Filter
- Active Carbon Filter
- Three-Layer Filter System
- 380 m³/h PM CADR
- OLED Touch Screen Display
- Ultra-Silent Sleep Mode
- APP Smart Control
Mi Air Purifier 3H is a new generation air purifier that combines three layers of filter into one air purifier. The first layer of your Mi Air Purifier is the oversized pre-filter which catches larger particles such as pet hair, dust, and even lint from your clothes. The second layer is a thick ultra-fine HEPA filter that’s made to effectively get rid of cigarette smoke, PM2.5 particles, pollen, dust mites, bacteria and other air-borne irritants that have a diameter of fewer than 2.5 microns. The third layer consists of an activated carbon filter that absorbs things like formaldehyde and VOCs from your home’s atmosphere.
Mi Air Purifier 3H has touch screen operations for user-friendly operation. 5 preset modes are available, which are Sleep, Auto, Favorite, Low, Medium and High. The main three modes are automatically switched based on the air quality. It has a CADR rating of 13,420 cubic feet to purify the air in a 107-square-foot area up to 12 times an hour. The product features ultra-silent sleep mode that ensures an ambient noise level of only 38db.
The Mi Air Purifier 3H is ideal for medium to large rooms in your home, especially when you have allergies, asthma, or respiratory problems. The new powerful air duct system ensures a smooth airflow and delivers 6330 liters of purified air per minute. It comes with remote control, so you can control it using a smartphone app. It can be controlled by Google Assistant, Alexa or Mi Home APP.
What I Like
- High-efficiency purification
- Replaceable filters
- Controlled by smartphone
- Amazon Alexa, Xiaomi Mi Home APP and Google Assistant support
- Extremely quiet and energy efficient
- Setup and Installation are very easy
What I Don’t Like
- Sometimes the mobile app malfunctions to work
7. Rowenta Air Purifier for Formaldehyde and VOC
- Four high-performance filtration levels: Pre-Filter, Active Carbon Filter, Allergy+
- Filters up to 99.99% of allergens and fine particles, including formaldehyde
- Permanent Formaldehyde destruction
- Smart system detects air impurities
- Indicator lights signal air quality level
- Air quality indicator with automatic filtration speed adjustment
- Maximum filtration on auto-day mode
- Quieter but still effective filtration on auto night mode
- Convenient timer with auto shut-off and delayed-start functions
- Filter-change indicator light
- Compact design
What Are VOCs?
VOCs mean volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Usually, a kind of fume that results from burning fuels like wood gas, kerosene, household chemicals and tobacco smoke particles and also printing gadgets, hair spray, paints, dry cleaning fluid and varnishes.
VOCs molecules are elements that fade into normal room size temperature like it mainly found on household products and fabrics etc.
Sources of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
VOCs can be spread from many products like paints, printers, INK, copy machine coatings. Also, it can be released from burning wood, household chemicals, petrol, diesel, and other natural gas. Removing VOCs to clean air is important. Volatile organic compounds can enter your body by breathing, cigarette, and touching products like paint.
Paints, printers, INK, natural gases all are VOC. VOC can damage your kidney, liver and nervous system. It can be a reason for cancer. You can get rid of them with VOC air purifiers that contain activated carbon and HEPA filter for VOC removal.
Other products contain – furnishing and construction materials, crafts materials and graphics also have glues and types of cement, markers and also photographic solution.
Do Air Purifiers Help With VOCs?
Well, if you look for a HEPA filter and particle filter for VOC removal it won’t clean the air of VOC or reduce the impure particles. HEPA filter is virtually powerless in this case. So you need a filter that contains granular activated carbon that is effective for harmful VOC removal. Heavier the activated carbon the more powerful to absorb these from the air.
What Is Formaldehyde?
Formaldehyde is a gas emitted from materials such as plywood, particle board, or insulation foam. Common sources include paints, solvents, building materials, and permanent press clothing. It is a colorless, strong-smelling gas that can trigger many health problems.
What Does Formaldehyde Do to the Body?
Formaldehyde is a dangerous gas that can affect your body with short-term and long-term health difficulties.
In the short term, it can cause irritation in your Skin. Eyes. Nose and throat and in the long term, it can cause cancer. In this condition, human health is at risk because they inhale a chronic form of formaldehyde.
Formaldehyde can also affect indoor air such as from dishwashers, paper, glues, leather treatments and fabric softeners. Also smoking indoors can produce high levels of formaldehyde, burning fuel.
Through research they found rare cancer in the nasopharynx can cause by this. It can cause asthma attacks wheezing and other lung and breathing issues as well.
Do Air Purifiers Help With Formaldehyde?
Of course! It helps to purify your home or office by using an activated carbon filter that cancels out the formaldehyde and many other harmful chemicals surrounded by air.
You know! Activated carbon has a high capacity to reduce formaldehyde, it’s proven that an air purifier with an 18-1b started carbon filters are able to cancel out a high portion of formaldehyde within six hours.
Frequently Asked Questions for VOCs and Formaldehyde
I want to clear your all queries about VOCs and Formaldehyde. In this, I have written all the information that you should know. So read this till the end.
Does Dyson Air Purifier Remove VOCs?
Since we know that HEPA filter is unable to cancel out VOCs so then Dyson plays its role. It has neat control over the air quality and air changes and a light layer of a carbon filter that helps to erase some chemical particles from the environment.
Combined with 3-stage ultrafiltration and 2-stage duo filtration, yes Dyson can remove VOCS from the air if has the proper amount of carbon filter on it to remove the impurities and less risk of health effects.
Do Air Purifiers Remove VOCs and Formaldehyde?
Yes, an air purifier can remove volatile organic compounds. Air purifiers that have silver screen technology or PECO can destroy VOCs and formaldehyde. The purifier has an activated carbon filter that may remove the VOCs from the air.
The activated carbon filter can reduce pollution and gases from the air. In some situations, like moisture, activated carbon filter releases volatile compounds back into the air.
But the newly developed photoelectrochemical oxidation (PECO) technology can easily destroy volatile organic compounds. With photoelectrochemical oxidation, there is no chance of gas being released into the air. I think PECO is the best solution for VOCs and formaldehyde.
You can choose an air purifier that comes with silver screen technology or PECO. It can easily destroy volatile organic compounds, chemicals, and formaldehyde. A carbon filter is also an option but this is not a perfect solution for VOCs.
Also, the PECO technology can kill some bacteria, germs, viruses and other harmful pathogens. PECO is also a good option for bacteria and viruses.
How Do You Neutralize VOCs?
Well the best solution to get rid of VOC is to purify the air and there are few ways you can neutralize VOCs, such as-
- You can use baking soda but not workable in every case
- Simple way to open the window so it neutralizes the VOC
- Have an air filter that contains charcoal.
- Do indoor plants because plants purify the air.
Why Are VOCs and Formaldehyde Dangerous?
VOCs and formaldehyde can cause health problems. It might get serious if it stays for long period and also for those who are uncomfortable due to chemicals.
Short-term health difficulties symptoms can see
- Nose, eyes and throat irritation problem
- Nausea and Dizziness
- Long-term health difficulties symptoms can see
- Can cause cancer.
How to Remove VOCs From Indoor Air
The removal VOCs inside the house are easy to remove, just need a few tasks to do –
- Ventilation needs to increase: So the airborne particles and chemicals can easily reduce.
- Have an air purifier: Install an air purifier that contains carbon filter to catch the VOCs.
- Put plants indoors: It really helps to purify the air naturally.
- Stop smoking indoors: Smoke particles are harmful and also increase VOC better to avoid indoors.
- Buy better dry cleaner: To ignore the smell of the chemicals from the machine and fabric.
You know how VOCs are dangerous for us. We use the entire product that contains VOCs and formaldehyde. We have to take care of ourselves. An air purifier is the best option for VOCs and other chemical sensitivity. In this article, I have reviewed the best five air purifiers for VOCs. And these all are the best you can choose anyone.
In this article, I have also added a buyer’s guide. You can choose an air purifier by following this guide. I have given you all the information about Best Air Purifier For VOCs and Formaldehyde. I hope you like the article. Thanks for reading the article until the end.